Not all who visit Simply Smiles Dental have problems with their teeth. Some patients consult us because they have a “gummy smile”, which affects their smile, overall appearance, and confidence.
A gummy smile is a smile that shows off excessive or uneven gums. One way to correct this aesthetic problem is through a gum lift procedure. A gum lift, also referred to as gum contouring, uses laser to remove gum tissue from high on the teeth.
At Simply Smiles Dental, we use the latest technology to reshape your gums and give you a great smile.
Causes of Gum Irregularity
There are several causes of gummy smile. Excessive display of gum tissue in the upper jaw can be caused by abnormal eruption of the teeth. The teeth may appear short even though they have the proper size and length.
Another cause involves the muscle that controls the movement of your upper lip.
The muscle can be hyperactive, which causes the upper lip to elevate higher than normal. When this happens, too much gum tissue is exposed each time you smile.
The manner of growth and development of your upper jawbone can also be one of the causes of gummy smile. An excessive bulging protrusion of the upper jaw gum tissue can lead to a noticeably gummy appearance when smiling.
How Gum Lift Improves Your Smile
A gum lift procedure is suitable for various problems such as:
- Teeth that appear too short
- Bulging or excessive gum tissue
- Uneven gum line
- Showing excessive gums when smiling
The Gum Lift Procedure
- The procedure will focus on the gum area around the front teeth, as this is the most noticeable section of your smile.
- The dentist will use a local anaesthetic in order to eliminate discomfort.
- This will be followed by marking the amount of gums to be removed.
- The dentist will cut into and reshape the gum area with the use of a soft tissue laser. The laser helps minimise bleeding and pain.
- Not stitches involved. The procedure is quick and painless.
Although you will feel slight discomfort after the procedure, this will not affect your daily routine, including eating and speaking. However, it’s advisable to eat soft foods and avoid spicy foods or those with seeds while your gums are healing.
Your dentist may also recommend a mild pain reliever and provide aftercare instructions such as brushing or flossing your teeth gently until the swelling and soreness is gone.
Enhance Your Smile with Gum Lift Procedure in Toorak
If your smile is affected by excessive gum tissue or an imbalanced gum line, you can benefit from the gum lift procedure we offer here at Simply Smiles Dental. The gum lift offers a natural balance between your gums and teeth for the attractive and radiant smile you’ve always wanted.
Call us on (03) 9826 2220 to book your Gum Lift Consultation today!