How long do dental crowns last? There is no exact answer to this question. A dental crown that is properly installed, made with appropriate materials, by a highly experienced dentist, and given proper care and maintenance, should last for many, many years.
But, as with most things, dental crowns are not perfect. Thus, it’s important to know the factors that determine the longevity of dental crowns. Your trusted dentist in Toorak at Simply Smiles Dental will help you identify some of these factors.
Common Factors that Determine Dental Crown Longevity
- Location of the tooth (rear or front)
- Condition of the tooth underneath the dental crown
- Oral care regimen and maintenance of the crowned teeth
- Clenching, grinding or gnashing of teeth
- Habits that can wreck your teeth (biting fingernails, chewing ice, removing bottle caps)
- Materials utilised in crowns (gold, zirconia, porcelain fused to metal, etc.)
- Full or partial crown
- Health of gums (gum disease)
- External trauma (dental injuries/accidents)
As you can see, based on the list, there are many factors to consider when it comes to determining just how long the crown will last. Some insurance companies will pay for the replacement of the crown if a failure occurs between 5 to 8 years. This leads many dental professionals to state that a dental crown should last from 5 to 15 years. This helps to avoid misleading the patients into thinking that their replacement teeth are going to last forever.
On the other hand, studies show that when dental crowns are used for a certain dental problem, if manufactured well, installed properly by an expert dentist and well maintained, they can last for decades or indefinitely.
A Study On the Success Rate of Dental Crowns
One study followed the success rate of 2,340 dental crowns installed by a dental specialist. The study showed that:
- 10 years – the success rate was 97% (2,270 crowns lasted over a decade)
- 25 years – the success rates was 85% (1, 989 out of 2,340 dental crowns that lasted for more than 25 years.
These statistics show that with proper materials, expert installation and care, chances for dental crown’s long-term success is very high.
Long-lasting Dental Crown Treatment in Toorak at Simply Smiles Dental
At Simply Smiles Dental, we employ only the most modern technology available and use the highest standards and latest techniques when it comes to tooth replacements and other dental procedures. Rest assured that your trusted Toorak dentist will provide you with high-quality dental crowns that will last a long time.
Our location is in Toorak Village, in the heart of Toorak, and serves patients from Toorak, South Yarra, Prahran, Windsor, Southbank, South Melbourne, Port Melbourne, Malvern, Albert Park, Melbourne CBD, and other metro areas.
We are a Medibank and HCF Members Choice Dentist.
Contact us on (03) 9826 2220 or simply book your appointment online today!